I have made four photography trips to Kuusamo since 2003. Based on the experiences in these trips, I decided to collect here some info about my favourite photography locations in Kuusamo.
- About 1.5 km walk from the parking lot (Google map link) is required to reach the top of Iivaara.
- Iivaara (info in Finnish) is very good location for sunset photography during summer and autumn, as you can see sun setting over several small lakes.
- I have not visited Iivaara during winter, and I assume that the road to the parking lot is not maintained during winter time.
- The top of Konttainen (Google maps link) is 0.8 km from the parking lot (Google map link), and this 800 m is mostly steep uphill.
- Konttainen is good location for sunset photography.
- Riisitunturi (Google maps link) is in Posio (not in Kuusamo), but Riisitunturi must be listed here as it is so good location, and only 54 km from Kuusamo centre.
- There is a new parking lot (Google maps link) at the border of Riisitunturi National Park. The top of Riisitunturi is 1.7 km from the parking lot.
- From Riisitunturi you have a excellent view to Lake Yli-Kitka. Best time for photography is sunrise, as you can see the sun rising over Lake Yli-Kitka.
- It is possible to drive almost to the top of Ruka Peak (Google maps link), only about 200 m walk is needed to reach the top from Restaurant Ruka Peak parking lot.
- Pähkänäkallio offers very good view to Kitkajoki.
- There is about 1 km walk from parking lot (Google maps link) to the Pähkänäkallio.
- In winter the road to parking place is not maintained.
- Note: The photography location in Pähkänäkallio may be dangerous (risk of dropping several tens of meters!), if the ground is slippery (very wet or first snow).
- Kiutaköngäs Rapids are 325 metres long. Kiutaköngäs (Google maps link) is ~1 km walk from Oulanka Visitor Centre.
- Myllykoski (Google maps link) is ~1.5 km from the parking lot in Juuma, or ~0.5 km from the Basecamp Oulanka.
- There is an old watermill dating back to the 1930´s and camp fire place in Myllykoski.
- Aallokkokoski (~1 km long rapids) is ~2 km from the parking lot in Juuma, or ~1.5 km from the Basecamp Oulanka.
- Jyrävä is the highest waterfall in the Kitkajoki river with a drop of 9 metres.